Friday, June 01, 2007

Hatred

One of the best things about being a sports fan, is you get an outlet for anger and hatred. These are natural, human emotions that shouldn't be placed onto singular humans in a "real" context. But, in the world of sports, during a heated contest, the outlet is there. And as long as you can separate the worlds, it's very healthy.

And, so, I've come to the conclusion that you really need someone, something, somewhere to hate in the world of sports.

And I've always been a little torn on finding something/one/place that I can really hate the whole year round.

I grew up in Cleveland, and most folks there hate Pittsburgh. It's a great rivalry that stems from football, the Browns and the Steelers. The problem though, is that while I'm a Cleveland fan almost all the time, my one exception is football. I'm a Steelers fan to the core. It's how my dad (Youngstown native) raised me. I can't change it, even if I want to. So, while I grew up hating the Browns, I can't hate Cleveland all year 'round, because of my love for the rest of the city.

So, I've been honestly searching. Until this past weekend. When it finally hit me.

I hate Detroit.

Hate them with a passion.

This past weekend, I was simultaneously watching Cavs-Pistons on TV while gamecasting Indians-Tigers online. And every ounce of my sports being was venomously rooting against Detroit. I found myself hating them, the way I hated Ric Flair as a young NWA/WCW/Sting fan. There was nothing more satisfying than seeing them lose, except seeing them lose to my team.

And it fits the criteria. I can hate them the entire year. As an Indians fan, I've been without a real rival ... well, my entire life. As a Cavaliers fan, the only team I could possibly ever hate as much as Detroit is Chicago, and the sting of "The Shot" isn't quite as potent when compared to the magic of MJ. He did it to everyone, we were just one victim. As an Avalanche fan, I already hate the Red Wings. And, who knows, maybe my renewed hatred of Detroit will give me a renewed interest in the NHL?

That only leaves football. And, I'll admit, it's hard to hate Detroit when they're so pathetic, such a non-threat, and not even in the same conference as my favorite team. But, I found a loophole. Detroit is close enough to Ann Arbor. So football season is covered, too.

At long last, I have my year-round place to hate. And I love it. I feel my sports fandom is finally becoming complete.

1 comment:

Darth Shan said...

To be the man, you got to beat the man. You must have really marked out about Clash of Champions 1 with Sting-Flair 45 draw. (;