Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Random Thoughts

I know it's not just me, but I still have to make this statement:

The NBA Playoffs have way too many off-nights. The Cavaliers should be playing, at the minimum, game three tonight, not game two. Their series, if it ends in four, should be wrapping up Saturday or Sunday, not starting up in a new city for the first time. I sometimes wonder why more sports fans don't follow the NBA as closely as I do, and then something like this comes along to remind me why. Hope the large checks from TNT make it worthwhile to alienate some fan bases, David.

The Mavs and Spurs get a shot to even their series at home tonight. I won't be shocked to see San Antonio go down 2-0, but I'll be 100% shocked if it happens to Dallas. In fact, I think it's more likely that Dallas goes on a run and wins the next four against Golden State, then it is that Golden State wins even one more game. Avery will get his boys prepared, come in with a decent game plan, stick to it, and once they get the monkey off their backs and beat Don Nelson and the Warriors, they'll keep doing it.

I've come to the conclusion that Joe Thomas is simply the best available player in the NFL Draft. ESPN just posted a "risk study" on the "bust potential" for each position in the first round. Offensive Line ranked pretty safe. So, when you combine that with his skill and size, I just don't see how you would want a Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Brady Quinn, Gaines Adams, JaMarcuss Russell, or anyone else ahead of this guy. I'm a big fan of hanging on to your draft picks, but I'd give up quite a few to move up for a shot at taking this guy.

I'm wondering how to treat A-Rod's April. On one hand, he's on a record setting pace like nobody has any business being on. On the other hand, I hate to follow just about any story involving the Yankees or the Red Sox. And, on my mythological third hand, I'm comparing A-Rod's April this year to Chris Shelton's April last year. Just saying.

NFL Draft is this weekend. Party at my house Saturday if you can make it. Homemade, hand-battered beer batter onion rings! I'll try to get up a final first round mock before then, but no promises.

No comments: