Sunday, February 04, 2007

An Anti-Manning Conspiracy Theory

**warning**


This post is fueled by thoughts of a man who is very much anti-Manning Family and even moreso anti-Peyton Manning. Hence, the resulting blog entry is not fair nor balanced, and is in fact biased.

So ... Peyton Manning was just named MVP of Super Bowl XLI. And I'm not really sure why . The Colts defense and running game were much more responsible for winning that game than Manning. If the Bears had been able to capitalize on the early Manning mistake and take a 14 or 10 point lead early in the first, that game ends very differently. But they didn't, and Peyton was bailed out by a defense that took advantage of bad play calling and poor executiong by Rex Grossman, as well as two pretty good performances by his running backs.

And here is where my theory comes in.

Midway through the third quarter, the game is starting to look like it's almost certainly going to the Colts. At this point, Joseph Addai already has ten catches and is putting up an MVP-like performance.

And what do we get the rest of the game?

A large dose of Dominic Rhodes, not Joseph Addai.

No real explanation why. But I have a theory.

Peyton Manning asked for Rhodes to come in, and share the duties with Addai and put up similar stats. This would then (and I think did) cause MVP voters to say "hey, it didn't matter who was running the ball for the Colts, they were gonna run well, we can't name a Colts RB as Super Bowl MVP, let's just give it to Peyton Manning".

And it worked. Congrats on your Super Bowl Ring, Peyton, and may it be your only one.

And congrats on your MVP, as I'm certain you weaseled and politiced your way to it.

Or at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself, just so I can have something of a smile on my face when I think about the fact that you won a Super Bowl.

No comments: